Place:


West Ward  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Ward like this:

WEST WARD, a district in Westmoreland; comprising Morland and Lowther sub-districts. Acres, 120,523. Poor rates in 1863, £3,591. Pop. in 1851, 8,155; in 1861, 8,072. Houses, 1,596. Marriages in 1863, 59; births, 230,-of which 30 were illegitimate; deaths, 145, -of which 35 were at ages under 5 years, and 6 at ages above 85. ...


Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 427; births, 2,350; deaths, 1,484. The places of worship, in 1851, were 15 of the Church of England, with 3,892 sittings: 2 of Quakers, with 260 s.; 4 of Wesleyans, with 419 s.; and 1 of the Wesleyan Association, with 140 s. The schools were 30 public day-schools, with 982 scholars; 12 private day-schools, with 228 s.; 19 Sunday schools, with 905 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 4 s. The workhouse is in Barton parish.

West Ward through time

West Ward is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Ward itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Ward, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20086

Date accessed: 23rd April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Ward ".