In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lakenham like this:
LAKENHAM, a parish in Norwich district, and within Norwich borough, Norfolk; on the river Yare and on two lines of the Great Eastern railway, 1¾ mile S by E of the centre of Norwich. Post-town, Norwich. Real property, £15,745. Pop. in 1851,4,776; in 1861,4,866. Houses, 1,154. The parish is cut ecclesiastically into two sections, Old Lakenham and Lakenham-St. Mark; and the latter was made ecclesiastically parochial in 1845. Pop. of L.-St. M. in 1861,3,808. Houses, 913. The property of Old L. is much subdivided; but that of L.-St. M. is not much divided. The living of Old L. is a vicarage annexed to the vicarage of Trowse; and that of L.-St. M. is a p. curacy, in the diocese of Norwich. Value of L.-St. M., £150.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. The churches of both sections are good. See Norwich.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lakenham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Norwich. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lakenham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lakenham, in Norwich and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 03rd September 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lakenham".