Place:


Ridge  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ridge like this:

RIDGE, a village and a parish in the district of Barnet and county of Hertford. The village stands 2¾ miles Wby S of Potters-Bar r. station, and 3½ N W of Barnet; and has a post-office under Barnet. The parish contains also Rabley hamlet, and part of London-Colney. Acres, 3, 607. ...


Real property, £5, 653. Pop., 437. Houses, 90. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Countess of Caledon. Waterlands, Arkley Hall, and the Oaks are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £190.* Patron, the Countess of Caledon. The church is old but good. There are five alms-houses.

Ridge through time

Ridge is now part of Hertsmere district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hertsmere has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ridge, in Hertsmere and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2002

Date accessed: 18th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ridge ".