Place:


Hartley  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hartley like this:

HARTLEY, a township in Kirkby-Stephen parish, Westmoreland; 1 mile SE of Kirkby-Stephen. Acres, 3, 350. Real property, with Winton, £4, 159. Pop., 215. Houses, 45. Hartley Castle stood on an eminence; belonged to successively the Veteriponts, the Hartleys, the Nevilles, and the Musgraves; and was demolished in the early part of the 18th century. The township is mountainous; includes Hartley fell; and contains coal, lead, and copper.

Hartley through time

Hartley is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hartley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hartley, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2001

Date accessed: 16th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hartley ".