Place:


Cliburn  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cliburn like this:

CLIBURN, a parish in West Ward district, Westmoreland: on the river Lyvennet, and on the Eden Valley railway, 7 miles NW of Appleby. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Penrith. Acres, 1, 360. Real property, £1, 995. Pop., 367. Houses, 58. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Talebois, the Harveys, and the Cliburns. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £188.* Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is old but good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £24.

Cliburn through time

Cliburn is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cliburn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cliburn, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1996

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cliburn ".