Place:


Yeadon  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Yeadon like this:

YEADON, a town, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in Wharfedale district, W. R. Yorkshire. The town stands on a hill, 2 miles E of Apperley r. station, and 3 S of Otley; is an unshapely place; carries on woollen manufacture; and has a post-office‡ under Leeds, a modern church, with pinnacled tower, three Methodist chapels, and a national school. ...


Pop. in 1861, 4,109. Houses, 863. The chapelry includes Apperley-lane and Henshaw; is in Guiseley parish; and comprises 1,660 acres. Real property, £9,960; of which £68 are in quarries, and £72 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 4,109; in 1861, 4,259. Houses, 894. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of Guiseley.—The sub-district includes Guiseley and Esholt townships, and comprises 3,995 acres. Pop., 7,194. Houses, 1,495.

Yeadon through time

Yeadon is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Yeadon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Yeadon, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/199

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Yeadon ".