Place:


Clipsham  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clipsham like this:

CLIPSHAM, or Kelpisham, a parish in the district of Stamford and county of Rutland; adjacent to the boundary with Lincoln, 4 miles W by S of Little By-tham r. station, and 9 NNW of Stamford. Post town, Stretton, under Oakham. Acres, 1, 655. Real property, £2, 056. Pop., 213. Houses, 42. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belonged formerly to the Zouches; and belongs now to J. M. Paget, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough-Value, £210.* Patron, J. M. Paget, Esq. The church has painted windows, removed to it from Pickworth; and is good. There was formerly a small chantry.

Clipsham through time

Clipsham is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clipsham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clipsham in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1987

Date accessed: 23rd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clipsham ".