Place:


Clothall  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clothall like this:

CLOTHALL - formerly Cleyhull, - a parish in Hitchin district, Herts; near the Hitchin and Royston railway, 2 miles SE by S of Baldock. Post town, Baldock. Acres, 3, 444. Real property, £4, 382. Pop., 492. Houses, 102. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £661.* Patron, the Marquis of Salisbury. The church has six brasses of priests, and other monuments; and is good. Savage, the "Aristippus of his age, " was rector.

Clothall through time

Clothall is now part of North Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clothall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clothall in North Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1981

Date accessed: 27th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clothall ".