In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bramfield like this:
BRAINTFIELD, Brantfield, or Bramfield, a parish in the district and county of Hertford; near the river Beane, 3½ miles NW of Hertford r. station. Post Town, Hertford. Acres, 1,540. Real property, £1,807. Pop., 191. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. Braintfield Place is the seat of the Brasseys. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £267.* Patron, Abel Smith, Esq. The church is good. Thom as à Becket was rector.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bramfield has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Hertfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bramfield and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bramfield in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bramfield".