Place:


Sheen  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sheen like this:

SHEEN (East), a hamlet and a chapelry in Mortlake parish, Surrey. The hamlet lies near Mortlake r. station, ½ a mile S of the Thames, and 2 E by N of Richmond; and has a post-office under London S W. The chapelrywas constituted in 1864; but the statistics have not been separately returned. ...


There are numerous fine villas, most of them with very beautiful grounds; and much of the area is shaded and beautified with magnificent oaks, chestnuts, and cedars. The living is annexed to Mortlake. The church was built in 1863, at a cost of £4, 600; and is in the decorated English style.

Sheen through time

Sheen is now part of Richmond upon Thames district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmond upon Thames has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sheen itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sheen, in Richmond upon Thames and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1970

Date accessed: 23rd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sheen ".