In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shipley like this:
SHIPLEY, a town, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in the parish and district of Bradford, W. R. Yorkshire. The town stands on the river Aire, on the Bradford, Skipton, and Colne railway, near the junction of the railway thence to Leeds, and near the junction of the Leeds and Liverpool canal with the Bradford canal, 3¼ miles NN W of Bradford; is irregularly built, and of uninteresting appearance; has undergone many recent improvements, under a local board of health; carries on worsted manufacture in several mills; and has a post-office‡ under Leeds, a r. ...
station with telegraph, a lecture hall, a large church of 1826, a handsome Baptist chapel of 1866, a neat Moravian chapel of 1868, three Methodist chapels, and national schools.-The township contains also Saltaire, Moorhead, Shipley-Fields, and part of Heaton-Royds. Acres, 1,140. Real property, £26,004; of which £345 are in mines, £210 in quarries, and £1,407 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 3,272; in 1861, 7,100. Houses, 1,357. The increase of pop. was mainly at and around Saltaire. S. Hall is the seat of T. Arton, Esq.; and several neat residences are at Victoria Park.The chapelry was constituted in 1826, and reconstituted in 1865. Pop., 6,773 The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £350.* Patrons, Simeon's Trustees.The sub-district consists of the townships of S. and Heaton. Acres, 2,436. Pop., 8,773. Houses, 1,704.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shipley, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shipley ".