Place:


Morden  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Morden like this:

MORDON, a village and a parish in Croydon district, Surrey. The village stands 1¼ mile SW of the river Wandle, 1½ SS W of a station of its own name on the Wimbledon and Croydon railway, and 5¼ WNW of Croydon; and has a post office, under Mitcham, London S. The parish comprises 1,422 acres. ...


Real property, £5,039. Pop., 654. Houses, 125. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged once to Merton abbey, and belongs now to R. Garth, Esq. Mordon Hall was formerly the manor-house, and is now a school. Mordon Park, Mordon Hill, Mordon Lodge, and the Rectory are chief residences. Snuff-mills are on the river; and a large brickfield was lately opened on Mordon Common. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Valne, £353.* Patron, R. Garth, Esq. The church was rebuilt of brick in 1636; has stone decorated windows, which probably belonged to the previous church; has also an embattled tower; and contains some brasses and monuments. There are an endowed school with £36 a year, an endowed Sunday school with £30, and charities £29.

Morden through time

Morden is now part of Merton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Merton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Morden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morden, in Merton and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1960

Date accessed: 16th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Morden ".