Place:


Black Torrington  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Black Torrington like this:

TORRINGTON (Black), a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Devon. The village stands on the river Torridge, 8½ miles E by N of Holsworthy r. station; and has a post-office under Highampton, North Devon. The parish contains also four hamlets, and comprises 7,200 acres. Real property, £3,836. ...


Pop., 1,020-Houses, 216. The property is much subdivided. Glove-making is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £610.* Patron, Lord Poltimore. The church was built in 1535. There are a Bible Charistian chapel, a national school, and some charities.—The sub-district contains 4 parishes, and is in Holsworthy district. Acres, 16,804. Pop., 1,970. Houses, 404.-The hundred contains 34 parishes and 3 parts. Acres, 145,202. Pop. in 1851, 19,912; in 1861, 18,295. Houses, 3,660.

Black Torrington through time

Black Torrington is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Black Torrington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Black Torrington, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1956

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Black Torrington ".