Place:


Thurlestone  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thurlestone like this:

THURLESTONE, a parish, with three hamlets, in Kingsbridge district, Devon; on the coast, 4¼ miles WSW of Kingsbridge r. station. Post town, Kings bridge. Acres, 1,898; of which 135 are water. Rated property, £2,029. Pop., 437. Houses, 95. T. Rock is an insulated arched rock, through which boats have sailed. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £321.* Patron, Mrs. Ilbert. The church is ancient but good. There is a parochial school.

Thurlestone through time

Thurlestone is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thurlestone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thurlestone, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1955

Date accessed: 26th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thurlestone ".