Place:


South Tawton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Tawton like this:

TAWTON (South), a parish, with two villages and six hamlets, in Okehampton district, Devon; on the NE border of Dartmoor, 4 miles E by S of Okehampton r. station. Post town, Okehampton, North Devon. Acres, 10,879. Real property, £7,774; of which £510 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,758; in 1861, 1,541. ...


Houses, 330. The manor, with Oxenham House, belongs to H. A. Hoare, Esq. Limestone is largely worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £150.* Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is old. There are a Wesleyan chapel, three alms houses, and other charities £33.

South Tawton through time

South Tawton is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Tawton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Tawton in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1951

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Tawton ".