Place:


Mytholmroyd  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mytholmroyd like this:

MYTHOLMROYD, a village and a chapelry in Halifax parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Calder., the Rochdale canal, and the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 5 miles W of Halifax; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office‡ under Manchester. The chapelry was constituted in 1846. ...


Pop. in 1861, 3,063. Houses, 683. The property is much subdivided. Wadsworth is the seat of W. Sutcliffe, Esq; and White-lee House, of D. J. Crossley, Esq. There are several cotton mills. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1847; is in the early decorated English style; and has a tower and low spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Mytholmroyd through time

Mytholmroyd is now part of Calderdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Calderdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mytholmroyd itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mytholmroyd, in Calderdale and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/194

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mytholmroyd ".