Place:


Sherford  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sherford like this:

SHERFORD, a parish in Kingsbridge district, Devon; 3 miles E by S of Kingsbridge r. station. It contains part of the village of Frogmore, which has a post-office under Kingsbridge. Acres, 2,326. Rated property, £2,154. Pop. in 1851, 523; in 1861, 404. Houses, 83. The property is much subdivided. Kennedon was the residence of Judge Halse, in the time of Edward IV.; and is now a farmhouse. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Stokenham. The church is good; and there are chapels for Calvinists and Wesleyans.

Sherford through time

Sherford is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sherford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sherford, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1935

Date accessed: 19th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sherford ".