Place:


Marsden  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marsden like this:

MARSDEN, a village and a township-chapelry in Almondbury and Huddersfield parishes, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Colne, adjacent to the Manchester and Huddersfield canal and to the Manchester and Leeds railway, under the backbone of England, 4¾ miles E of the boundary with Lancashire, and 7¼ SW by S of Huddersfield; is a large place; and has a station on the railway, a post office † under Huddersfield, and fairs on 25 April, 10 July, and 25 Sept. ...


The chapelry comprises 5,016 acres in A. parish, and 2,050 in H. parish. Real property, £6,226; of which £319 are in quarries, and £150 in gas-works. Pop. of the A. portion in 1851,2,153; in 1861,2,027. Houses, 428. Pop. of the H. portion in 1851,512; in 1861,662. Houses, 138. The increase of pop. in this portion arose from the enlargement of a cotton mill, and from employment on the railway and in the woollen mills. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir Joseph Radcliffe, Bart. Great part of the land is uncultivated moor and mountain. A tunnel of the railway, no less than 3 miles 61 yards long, begins a little W of the village; and a tunnel of the canal adjoins the railway one. A cotton factory, a silk factory, several woollen mills, an extensive iron foundry, and a large corn mill are in operation. The township adopted the local government act in 1860, and is now governed by a local board. A mechanics' hall, connected with a mechanics' institution dating from 1841, was erected in 1861, at a cost of £2,500; is in the Italian style; and has an apartment with capacity for 1,000 persons. Mr. W. Horsfall of Marsden, in consequence of having introduced improved machinery, was shot in 1812 by the Luddites. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £174.* Patron, the Vicar of Almondbury. The old church is a plain, ancient, stone building; comprises aisles and chancel, with a belfry; and was reported in 1859 as bad. The new church was built in 1867, at a cost of £7,235; and is in the geometric middle pointed style. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, a national school, and a town school. The Independent chapel was rebuilt about 1860, and is in the pointed style. The national school was built in 1856, at a cost of £2,000.

Marsden through time

Marsden is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marsden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marsden, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/193

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marsden ".