Place:


Pilton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pilton like this:

PILTON, a village and a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon. The village stands on the river Taw, opposite Barnstaple; is connected with that town and its r. station by a bridge; had once a market and a fair; and has now a post-office under Barnstaple. The parish contains also the villages of Bradiford and Raleigh, and is partlywithin Barnstaple borough. ...


Acres, 1,861. Real property, £6, 840. Pop., 1,863. Houses, 396. Pop. of the part in B. borough, 1, 589. Houses, 350. The property is not much divided. P. House is the seat ofWilliams, Esq. A Benedictine priory was founded hereby King Athelstane, and became a cell to Malmsburyabbey. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £105.* Patron, W.Hodge, Esq. The church is old but good; and contains a stone pulpit, a fine carved screen, and several ancient brasses and monuments. There are a national school, alms-houses, and other charities.

Pilton through time

Pilton is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pilton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pilton in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1907

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pilton ".