Place:


Whitchurch  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitchurch like this:

WHITCHURCH, a parish in Tavistock district, Devon; 1½ mile SE of Tavistock r. station. It contains part-of Horrabridge village; and its Post town is Tavistock. Acres, 5,979. Real property, £4,795; of which £76 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,156; in 1861, 1,340. Houses, 253. ...


The property is much subdivided. Halwell House, Grenofen, Grimstone, and Walreddon are chief residences. The surface includes romantic scenery; and W. Down commands a fine view. There are several lead and tin mines. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £195.* Patron, the Rev. R. Sleeman. The church is later English. There are an Independent chapel, a parochial school, and charities £7.

Whitchurch through time

Whitchurch is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitchurch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitchurch in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1905

Date accessed: 21st September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitchurch ".