Place:


Peterchurch  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Peterchurch like this:

PETERCHURCH, a village and a parish in the district and county of Hereford, The village stands on the river Dore, 6½ miles S S W of Moorhampton r. station, and 11 W by S of Hereford; and has a post-office under Hereford. The parish comprises 5,089 acres. Real property, £5, 925. Pop., 710. ...


Houses, 159. Urishay Castle is the seat of T. Delahay, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £327. Patron, J. Bull, Esq. The church is Norman; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower; and containsnumerous monumental remains. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school with £50 a year, alms-houses, and other charities £8.

Peterchurch through time

Peterchurch is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Peterchurch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Peterchurch in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1897

Date accessed: 21st April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Peterchurch ".