Place:


Offwell  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Offwell like this:

OFFWELL, a village and a parish in Honiton district, Devon. The village stands 2¼ miles E S E of Honiton r.station. The parish contains also part of the village of Wilmington, which has a post-office under Honiton. Acres, 2, 206. Real property, £2, 435. Pop., 393. Houses, 82. The property is divided among a few. ...


Offwell House belonged to Bishop Copleston, and is now the residence ofhis representatives. An ornamental tower was built by him, in 1843, on Honiton hill; and commands extensive views. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £400.* Patrons, the Trustees of Bishop Copleston. The church is of the 13th century; consists of nave, Naisle, and chancel, with W tower; has a fine memorial three-light E window; and contains some monuments. There are a parochial school, and charities £12.

Offwell through time

Offwell is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Offwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Offwell in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1880

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Offwell ".