In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton Ferrers like this:
NEWTON-FERRERS, a village and a parish in Plympton, St. Mary district, Devon. The village stands on a creek of the river Yealm, 1¾ mile from the river'smouth, 5¾ S of Plympton r. station, and 6¼ S E of Plymouth; is a scattered place, amid remarkably beautiful environs; and has a post-office under Ivybridge. The parish comprises 2, 991 acres of land and 200 of water. Real property, £4, 214. Pop. in 1851, 749; in 1861.670. Houses, 140. The property is divided among a few. ...
Gnaton Hall was long the seat of the Hele family; was rebuilt about 1832; and is now the residence of W. E. Matthews, Esq. Puslinch House and Tor Villa also are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £456. Patron, the Rev. J. Yonge. The church is very old; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower; and contains monuments of the Potters and the Yonges. There are a national school and an alms-house.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newton Ferrers has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Hams. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newton Ferrers and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton Ferrers, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 14th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newton Ferrers".