Place:


Ingleton  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ingleton like this:

INGLETON, a township in Staindrop parish, and a chapelry, partly also in Heighington parish, Durham. The township lies 2¾ miles N of Gainford r. station, and 7 SSW of Bishop-Auckland. Acres, 813. Real property, £1, 796. Pop., 300. Houses, 75. The manor belongs to the Duke of Cleveland. ...


The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Post town, Staindrop, under Darlington. Rated property, £3, 455. Pop., 667. Houses, 147. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Staindrop. The church is modern, and has a belfry. There is a village school. Charities, £10.

Ingleton through time

Ingleton is now part of Teesdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teesdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ingleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ingleton, in Teesdale and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1872

Date accessed: 10th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ingleton ".