Place:


Meeth  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Meeth like this:

MEETH, a parish in Okehampton parish, Devon; at the confluence of the rivers Okement and Torridge, 3 miles N by E of Hatherleigh, and 9 NNW of Okehampton r. station. Post town, Hatherleigh, North Devon. Acres, 2,479. Real property, £1,862. Pop. in 1851, 333; in 1861,287. Houses, 60. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. ...


Value, £237. Patron, the Rev. F. D. Lempriere. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains a monument to Lempriere, the lexicographer, who was rector. There are a national school, and charities £5.

Meeth through time

Meeth is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Meeth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Meeth in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1867

Date accessed: 17th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Meeth ".