Place:


Luppitt  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Luppitt like this:

LUPPITT, a village and a parish in Honiton district, Devon. The village stands 2 miles W of the river Otter, and 4 NNE of Honiton r. station; and has a post office, under Honiton. The parish includes the tything of Shapcombe, and comprises 4,293 acres. Real property, £5,052. Pop., 714. Houses, 153. ...


The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Mohuns and the Carews, and bears the name of Mohun'sOttery. The ancient manor-house became a farm-house, was destroyed by fire in 1847, and is now represented by three entrance-arches, with some beautiful carving. A monastery stood anciently on a low site within the parish, and was dissolved by William de Mohun, at his founding of the abbey of Newnham. The name Luppitt was anciently written Love-pit, and is supposed to allude to the site of the monastery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £121.* Patron, Mrs. Bernard. The church is ancient, in fair condition; consists of nave, transepts, and chancel, with porch and tower; and contains monuments of the Carews. Charities, £5.

Luppitt through time

Luppitt is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Luppitt itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Luppitt in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1865

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Luppitt ".