Place:


Elvet  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elvet like this:

ELVET, a township in St. Oswald parish, Durham; partly within Durham city, and divided into Elvet borough and Elvet barony. Acres of the whole, 3, 800. Real property of E. borough, £4, 260; of E. barony, £11, 480, -of which £1, 880 are in mines. Pop. of the whole, 4, 140. Houses, 544. Maiden Castle, at Elvet, occupies a peculiarly shaped steep hill 100 feet high, over-hanging the Wear at Hill-tower, opposite Pellalo-wood. See Durham.

Elvet through time

Elvet is now part of Durham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Durham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elvet itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elvet, in Durham and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1859

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elvet ".