Place:


Hockworthy  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hockworthy like this:

HOCKWORTHY, a parish, with a scattered village, in Tiverton district, Devon; adjacent to Somerset, 3 miles NW of Tiverton-Junction r. station, and 8 NE of Tiverton. Post town, Wellington, Somerset. Acres, 2, 526. Real property, £2, 961. Pop., 375. Houses, 59. The rectorial tithes and Hockford farm belonged formerly to Canonsleigh abbey. ...


Hockworthy Court is the seat ofTroyte, Esq. Limestone and building stone abound. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £271.* Patron, the Rev. W. Newman. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1865, and is in the early English style; and the tower had been rebuilt in 1848. The parsonage is a recent edifice, in the Tudor style.

Hockworthy through time

Hockworthy is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hockworthy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hockworthy in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1847

Date accessed: 19th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hockworthy ".