Place:


Hittisleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hittisleigh like this:

HITTISLEIGH, a parish in Crediton district, Devon; near the river Yew, 4½ miles SW by S of Yeoford r. station, and 7¼ WSW of Crediton. Post town, CheritonBishop, under Exeter. Acres, 1, 155. Real property, £897. Pop., 156. Houses, 33. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to B. Calmady, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. The church comprises nave and N aisle, with a tower: and is tolerable.

Hittisleigh through time

Hittisleigh is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hittisleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hittisleigh in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1846

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hittisleigh ".