Place:


Halberton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Halberton like this:

HALBERTON, a township, a parish, and a hundred, n Devon. The township lies on the Western canal, near he Bristol and Exeter railway, 2 miles SW of Tiverton Junction r. station, and 3 E of Tiverton; and has a post office under Tiverton. The parish comprises 5, 755 acres; and is in Tiverton district. ...


Real property, £12, 383; of which £750 are in the canal. Pop. in 1851, 1, 745; in 1861, 1, 663. Houses, 350. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Earl Powlett. Building stone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in he diocese of Exeter. Value, £670.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is of the 14th century; was restored in 1848; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with western pinnacled tower; had formerly a chantry; and has still a massive carved screen, an ancient carved oak pulpit, and an interesting font. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians, national schools, and charities £45. The hundred contains also two other parishes, and parts of two more. Acres, 8, 744. Pop., 2, 765. Houses, 605.

Halberton through time

Halberton is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Halberton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Halberton in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1843

Date accessed: 16th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Halberton ".