Place:


Goodleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Goodleigh like this:

GOODLEIGH, a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon; on the river Yeo, 2¾ miles ENE of Barnstaple town and r. station. It includes the hamlet of Northleigh; and its post town is Barnstaple. Acres, 1, 167. Real property, £1, 590. Pop., 294. Houses, 63. The property is much divided. The land is very fertile, and has long been noted for the production of cherries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Valne, £300.* Patron, the Rev. John Harding. The church is ancient; has a square pinnacled tower; and is in tolerable condition. There is an Independent chapel.

Goodleigh through time

Goodleigh is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Goodleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Goodleigh in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1842

Date accessed: 23rd April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Goodleigh ".