Place:


Gittisham  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gittisham like this:

GITTISHAM, a village and a parish in Honiton district, Devon. The village stands near the river Otter, and near the Salisbury and Exeter railway, 2 miles SW by W of Honiton; and has a post office under Honiton. The parish comprises 2, 067 acres. Real property, £2, 928. Pop., 355. Houses, 74. ...


The manor belonged once to the Jocelines; passed to the Lomens, the Willingtons, the Beaumonts, and the Putts; and belongs now, with most of the parish, to Richard Marke, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £475.* Patron, the Rev. G. R. Harding. The church is of the 14th century; consists of nave, chancel, and south aisle, with western embattled tower; and contains a Norman font, and several fine monuments to the Beaumonts and the Putts. There are charities about £180, and a free school.

Gittisham through time

Gittisham is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gittisham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gittisham in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1841

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gittisham ".