In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodville like this:
WOODVILLE, a chapelry in Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Hartshorn-parishes, Leicester; 3½ miles NW of Ashby-de-la-Zonch r. station. It was constituted in 1847; and it has a post-office under Burton-upon-Trent. Pop., 1,408. Houses, 259. The manor belongs to the Countess Loudoun. The manufacture of earthenware, fire-bricks, and sanitary ware is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £116.* Patron, the Bishop of P. The church was built in 1846. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Woodville has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Derbyshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Woodville and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodville in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Woodville".