Place:


Shirley  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shirley like this:

SHIRLEY, a township and a parish in Ashborne district, Derby. The township lies 4 miles SE of Ashborne r. station. Real property, £2,738. Pop., 301. Houses, 66. The parish includes two other townships, and comprises 3,560 acres. Post town, Brailsford, under Derby. Pop., 596. Houses, 128. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £179.* Patron, Earl Ferrers. The church was repaired in 1842. The vicarage of Yeaveley is a separate benefice. There are two dissenting chapels and two national schools.

Shirley through time

Shirley is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shirley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shirley in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1827

Date accessed: 21st September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shirley ".