Place:


Diptford  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Diptford like this:

DIPTFORD, a parish in Totnes district, Devon; on the river Avon, 2¾ miles SE of Brent r. station, and 5½ WSW of Totnes. Post town, Brent, under Ivy-Bridge. Acres, 4, 154. Real property, with North Huish, £8, 226. Rated property of D. alone, £3, 159. Pop., 659. Houses, 142. ...


The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Rev. W.Johnson. Diptford Court, Bradridge House, and Courtis Knowle are chief residences. The parish is a meet for the South Devon harriers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £532. Patron, the Rev. W.Johnson. The church is perpendicular English; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with tower and spire; and was recently repaired. There are a chapel for Plymouth Brethren, and charities £53.

Diptford through time

Diptford is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Diptford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Diptford, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1824

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Diptford ".