Place:


Y Faenor  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Y Faenor like this:

VAINOR, a parish, with a village and three hamlets, in the district of Merthyr-Tydviland county of Brecon; on the river Taff, 4 miles N by E of Merthyr-Tydvil r. station. Post town, Merthyr-Tydvil. Acres, 6,597. Real property, £4,548. Pop. in 1851, 2,667; in 1861, 2,984. Houses, 649. The surface includes some very fine scenery. There are coal mines and ironworks. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £265.* Patron, not reported. The church is old; and a tumulus adjoins it.

Y Faenor through time

Y Faenor is now part of Merthyr Tydfil district. Click here for graphs and data of how Merthyr Tydfil has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Y Faenor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Y Faenor, in Merthyr Tydfil and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1791

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Y Faenor ".