Place:


Lullington  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lullington like this:

LULLINGTON, a village, a township, and a parish, in the district of Burton-upon-Trent and county of Derby. The village stands on the S verge of the county, near the river Mease, 4 miles E of Oakley r. station, and 6½ S by W of Burton-upon-Trent; was known at Domesday as Lullitone; and has a post office under Burton-uponTrent. ...


The township includes the village and extends into the country. Real property, £3,603. Pop., 272. Houses, 57. The parish contains also the township of Coton-in-the-Elms, and comprises 2,983 acres. Real property, £6,239. Pop., 625. Houses, 143. The property of L. township is divided among a few; and that of Coton is much subdivided. The manor of L. belongs to R. Colvile, Esq.; and that ofto Lady Wilmot Horton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £165.* Patron,R. Colvile, Esq. The church was restored and extended in 1862, at a cost of about £2,525; has a tower and spire; and contains a font of Devonshire granite, resting on five shafts of Torquay marble. The vicarage of Coton is a separate benefice. Charities, £7.

Lullington through time

Lullington is now part of South Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lullington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lullington in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1782

Date accessed: 13th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lullington ".