Place:


Newport  Hampshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Newport like this:

Newport.-- mun. bor., market town, and par., and capital of the Isle of Wight, 5 miles S. of Cowes and 10½ miles SW. of Eyde by rail, and 91 miles from London - par., 59 ac., pop. 3237; bor., 501 ac., pop. 9357; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. ...


Possessing railway communication with Cowes, Ryde, Sandown, &c., Newport is a flourishing and attractive town, with an endowed grammar school (1612) and an endowed school for girls (1761). Its central position makes it the headquarters of large numbers of visitors, bent upon touring through the island. The supplies required by visitors, and by the surrounding rural districts, constitute most of the trade. Timber, malt, corn, and flour are exported; and industries exist in the mfr. of lace, brushes, and mats. Communication with the mainland is easy, e.g., by rail to Cowes or Ryde, and thence by steamer to Portsmouth and Southampton. Newport returned 2 members to Parliament from the reign of Elizabeth until 1867, and 1 member until 1885.

Newport through time

Newport is now part of the Isle of Wight district. Click here for graphs and data of how the Isle of Wight has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newport itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newport, in The the Isle of Wight and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/177

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newport ".