Place:


Clifton  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clifton like this:

CLIFTON-WITH-COMPTON, a township in Ashborne parish, Derby; on the river Dove, and the Ashborne railway, 1 mile SW of Ashborne. It has a station, of the name of Clifton, on the railway. Post town, Ashborne. Acres, 1, 016. Real property, £3, 491. Pop., 894. Houses, 199. Clifton, without Compton, is a chapelry. Pop., 503. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Lichfield-Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Ashborne. The church was built mainly in 1845, partly in 1869.

Clifton through time

Clifton is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clifton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clifton in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1755

Date accessed: 24th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clifton ".