Place:


Beaford  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Beaford like this:

BEAFORD, a parish in Torrington district, Devon; on the river Torridge, 5 miles SE of Torrington, and 6 ½ WSW of Umberleigh r. station. It has a head post office, designated Beaford, North Devon. Acres, 3,203. Real property, £2,702. Pop., 639. Houses, 133. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £315.* Patron, the Rev.Wood. The church is an old-fashioned edifice with a low tower. There are chapels for Baptists and Bible Christians.

Beaford through time

Beaford is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Beaford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Beaford, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1745

Date accessed: 15th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Beaford ".