Place:


Queensferry  West Lothian

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Queensferry like this:

Queensferry (or South Queensferry), parl. and royal burgh, par., and small seaport town, Linlithgowshire, on the Firth of Forth, 13 miles NW of Edinburgh by rail - par. and royal burgh, 11 ac., pop. 1064; parl. burgh, pop. 1676; town, pop. 1966; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. The parl. burgh and town extend into Dalmeny par. ...


Queensferry, situated at the south end of the great Forth Bridge, so named from being the place where Margaret the queen of Malcolm Canmore crossed the Forth on her frequent journeys between Edinburgh and Dunfermline, was long an important ferry station. It has some coasting trade. There are remains of a Carmelite friary built in 1332. Queensferry is one of the Stirling Burghs, which return 1 member to Parliament.

Queensferry through time

Queensferry is now part of Edinburgh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Edinburgh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Queensferry itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Queensferry, in Edinburgh and West Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17393

Date accessed: 18th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Queensferry ".