Place:


Helensburgh  Dunbartonshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Helensburgh like this:

Helensburgh, coast town with ry. sta., quay, and piers (one at Craigendoran), Row par., Dumbartonshire, on the N. shore of the Firth of Clyde and at the entrance to the Gare Loch, opposite Greenock (distant 4 miles), 8 miles NW. of Dumbarton, 23 NW. of Glasgow, and 404 NW. of London by rail, pop. ...


7693; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Helensburgh was founded in 1777 by Sir James Colquhoun of Luss, from whose wife it acquired its name. It is connected with Glasgow by both rail and steamer, and is one of the principal watering-places on the Clyde. The only industry is the herring and deep-sea fishing. On the esplanade is a monument to Henry Bell, of steam-navigation fame, who died at Helensburgh in 1830. In the vicinity of the town, which is pleasantly situated, are many fine mansions and villas.

Helensburgh through time

Helensburgh is now part of Argyll and Bute district. Click here for graphs and data of how Argyll and Bute has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Helensburgh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Helensburgh, in Argyll and Bute and Dunbartonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17390

Date accessed: 24th June 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Helensburgh ".