Place:


Broxtowe  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broxtowe like this:

BROXTOW, a hamlet and a hundred in Notts. The hamlet is in Bilbrough parish, 3¼ miles NW of Nottingham; and was once a parish. The hundred lies around the hamlet; extends 23 miles northward from the Trent, and 22 eastward from Derbyshire; and is cut into two divisions, North and South. The N. division contains sixteen parishes. Acres, 51,836. Pop. in 1851, 48,653. The S. division contains also sixteen parishes. Acres, 30,253. Pop. in 1851, 35,483. Pop. of both in 1861, 88,886. Houses, 18,600.

Broxtowe through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Broxtowe has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Broxtowe go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broxtowe in Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17364

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Broxtowe ".