Place:


Welney  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Welney like this:

WELNEY, a chapelry in Upwell parish, Cambridge and Norfolk; on the old Bedford river, 6 miles NE by E of Manea r. station, and 10 ESE of March. It has a post-office under Wisbeach. Acres, 5,292. Real property of the Cambridge part, £5,043; of the Norfolk part, £6,854. Pop., 477 and 624. ...


Houses, 105 and 131. The property is subdivided. Extensive sheets of water, for decoying wild ducks, are here; and form fine skating-ground in winter. A boat, 8 feet below the river's bed, was found in 1635. Roman coins, urns, and other relics, have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £1,300.* Patron, W. Townley, Esq. The church was built in 1850, and is in the early English style. There are Baptist and Methodist chapels, and a free school.

Welney through time

Welney is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Welney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Welney in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1736

Date accessed: 19th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Welney ".