In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bracknell like this:
BRACKNELL, a village, a chapelry, and a subdistrict, in the district of Easthampstead, Berks. The village stands adjacent to the Southwestern railway, 3 miles W of Ascot racecourse, and 4 E of Wokingham. It has a station on the railway, and a post office, of the name of Bracknell, Berkshire; and is a polling-place. Fairs are held at it on 25 April, 22 Aug., and 1 Oct. It consists of one fine, long, open street; and there are several large mansions in its neighbourhood. The chapelry includes the village; is in the parishes of Warfield and Winkfield; and was constituted in 1851. ...
Pop., 1,007. Houses, 202. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £65. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is a graceful structure of 1851, in the early English style. There are an Independent chapel, a literary institute. and national schools.-The subdistrict contains five parishes. Acres, 20,614. Pop., 6,165. Houses, 1,203.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bracknell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bracknell Forest. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bracknell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bracknell, in Bracknell Forest and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bracknell".