Place:


Shepway  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shepway like this:

SHEPWAY, a lathe in the SE of Kent; containing the hundreds and liberties of Aloesbridge, Ashford, Bircholt, Calehill, Chart and Longbridge, Felborough, Folkestone, Ham, Heane, Longport, Loningborough, Lydd, Newchurch, New Romney, Oxney, Stouting, Street, Worth, and Wye. Acres, 205,004. Pop. in 1851, 43,323; in 1861, 51,826. Houses, 9,018. Shepway Cross gives name to the lathe; is situated ½ a mile E of Lympney church; and was the meeting-place of the earliest general courts of the Cinque ports.

Shepway through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Shepway has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Shepway go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shepway in Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17316

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shepway ".