Place:


Elmbridge  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elmbridge like this:

ELMBRIDGE, or Emley, a hundred in Surrey, on the Thames and southward, between the hundreds of Godley and Kingston. It is cut into two divisions, first and second; the former containing Weybridge parish and three other parishes, the latter, Cobham parish, two other parishes, and part of another. Acres, 9, 506 and 12, 199. Pop., 13, 184. Houses, 2, 475. A part of the first division on the river Emley or Mole gives name to the whole; belonged to the families of Immeworth and Brasse; and was given, by Edward IV., to the corporation of Kingston.

Elmbridge through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Elmbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Elmbridge go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elmbridge in Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17313

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elmbridge ".