Place:


Trafford  Greater Manchester

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Trafford like this:

TRAFFORD (Old), a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire; on the Manchester and Altrincham railway, in the SW outskirts of Manchester city. It was constituted in 1858; it has a r. station with telegraph; and it contains the botanic garden, the asylum for the blind, and schools for the deaf and dumb. Post town, Manchester. Pop. in 1861, 2,184. Houses, 336. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £498. Patron, the Bishop of M.

Trafford through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Trafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Trafford go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Trafford in Greater Manchester | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17305

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Trafford ".