Place:


Charnwood  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Charnwood like this:

CHARNWOOD-FOREST, a bare hilly tract, about 20 miles in circuit, in the NE of Leicester; near Charley, 5 miles SW of Loughborough. It was disforested after the Conquest. It consists chiefly of trap rocks; but includes slate, freestone, and coal, Its highest ground is Bardon hill; which has an altitude of 853 feet, and commands a very extensive view. ...


Charley hermitage and Ulvescroft priory were within it; and a monastery of St. Bernard was built in it, near Bardon hill, in 1845, and has a chapel, a chapter house, and cloisters in the early English style. The three vicarages of Oaks, CoptOaks, and Woodhouse-Eaves are in it; and will be separately noticed. The property of it is in six manors, belonging to different owners.

Charnwood through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Charnwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Charnwood go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Charnwood in Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17279

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Charnwood ".