In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described New Forest like this:
New Forest.-- hundred, in SW. of Hants, 83,737 ac., pop. 9444. The New Forest occupies most of the SW. corner of Hants. It is about 14 miles long N. to S., and 16 miles broad E. to W.; about one-fourth of the area consists of enclosed plantations, and the remainder of open woods, bog, and heath. The absence of underwood gives a beautiful park-like appearance to the New Forest, which contains several large villages-Lyndhurst being the forest capital. Oak and beech are the principal trees, and the former have furnished a great deal of timber for the royal navy. The New Forest was created by William the Conqueror, and still forms part of the Crown demesnes.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing New Forest has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of New Forest. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering New Forest and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of New Forest in Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "New Forest".